Call for Senior Researcher Position in African Archaeology
The Interdisciplinary Center for Archaeology and Evolution of Human Behavior (ICArEHB at the Universidade do Algarve), seeks to appoint a senior researcher in African Archaeology. This will be a 6-year contract (3 years initial contract followed by 3 more year-to-year contract based on evaluation), potentially followed by tenure as full-time researcher. You will join ICArEHB and benefit from recent investment in laboratories, infrastructure and technical support in this area.
- PhD in Archaeology or related scientific areas;
- International postdoctoral experience in African Archaeology, preferentially on ESA or MSA;
- Experience as PI in African Archaeology;
- Have demonstrated experience in field work;
- Demonstrate a strong record of peer-review publication;
- Proficiency of written and spoken English.
The selection process will have two steps. First, the selection committee will evaluate the applications (CV and motivation letter) to produce a short-list of candidates. Second, the committee will conduct remote interviews with the selected candidates.
The evaluation of the CV will have four main criteria:
- The scientific, technological and cultural production in the last 5 years considered most relevant by the applicant (12 points);
- The field research developed in the last five years and considered of highest impact by the applicant (4 points);
- Dissemination activities in the last five years, specifically in the context of promotion of scientific culture and practice considered more relevant by the applicant (2 points);
- Science, technology and innovation management activities (2 points).
- A 6-year term contract (3+1+1+1 years), which includes 22 working day vacation yearly, parental leave, medical coverage and unemployment benefits.
- Possible tenure contract renewal after an evaluation by the University of Algarve.
- A gross salary of 50,565.62 euros per year, to which is added a monthly lunch subsidy in the amount of c. 1200 euros year.
- Integration in an interdisciplinary young research center that aims to create an international and highly motivated environment for research.
- It is advisable to contact Nuno Bicho (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to submission;
- Applicants must download and fill the application form that can be found here;
- The candidates need to provide the following documents:
- A motivation letter in English, highlighting the most significant scientific activities and contributions over the last five years (maximum of 3,000 characters including spaces); a list and copies of three to five published articles considered by the applicant to be representative or most impactful in the field;
- Copy of doctoral certificate or diploma (following Portuguese law, at the time of the contract signature, the degree has to be recognized by the Portuguese education system);
- Optional: Other documents that the applicant considers relevant for assessing his/her application can be attached to the application
- Applications must be formalized by email to the address email@example.com until 12am of the last day of the tender application period.
- Deadline: October 22, 2020