ICArEHB is opening a call for 4 PhD fellowships in Prehistoric Archaeology (preferably topics related to Human Evolution, African archaeology, Prehistoric coastal adaptations, Development of complex societies, and History of archaeological science).
Can apply for this call:
person who satisfy the necessary conditions to enroll in the UAlg doctoral program in Archeology and who intend to develop research activities leading to obtaining a doctoral degree at the Interdisciplinary Center for Archeology and Evolution of Human Behavior, regardless of nationality or citizenship.
Please see details here.
The work will be developed at ICArEHB of the University of Algarve under the scientific guidance of a researcher to be designated for each specific case.
Duration of the fellowship:
The fellowship will have a duration of one year, starting on 1 October 2021. The fellowship contract can be renewable for periods of one year, up to a maximum of four years and having taking into account the new Regulation of Research Grants of the University of Algarve – (https://dre.pt/application/file/a/152015732)
Value of the monthly maintenance allowance:
The amount of the monthly maintenance allowance corresponds to €1,104.64 according to https://dre.pt/application/file/a/151902326. The maintenance allowance will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
Application deadline and form of submission of applications:
Open from 17/05/2021 to 11/06/2021.
Applications must be accompanied by the following documents:
– Official identification document (identity card / citizen card / passport – simple copy or legal equivalent).
– Copy of the certificates of qualification of the academic degrees held, specifying the final classification and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all subjects taken;
– If available, proof of registration of recognition of academic degrees awarded by foreign higher education institutions and registration of the conversion of the respective final classification to the Portuguese classification scale;
– Candidate’s curriculum vitae;
– Letter of motivation, with a maximum of 2 pages;
– Two open letters of recommendation included in the package ;
– Work plan following instructions below.
– Other documents that are considered relevant.
The application and all documents associated with it, including letters of motivation and recommendation, should be in English;
Applicants should submit their proposal to email@example.com in PDF format (Adobe version 3 or higher, with embedded fonts) by 11th June 2021.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to verify that the submitted PDF documents are readable and are within the page limit.
Instructions for applicants
Proposals must use the template provided HERE, respecting the following minimum standards:
– a minimum font size of 12 points, except for tables where the minimum font size is 10 points
– single line spacing
– A4 page size
– margins should not be changed
– a clearly readable font (e.g. Arial or Times New Roman)
Tables and Figures are accepted, but just for illustrating the core text of the proposal. They cannot be used to contain the core text itself.
Footnotes are to be used exclusively for literature references. Their minimum font size is 8. They will count towards the page limit. Any other information included in a footnote will be disregarded.
The maximum total length for the document is 10 pages. It should be composed by the following sections:
– Introduction, state-of-the-art, objectives and overview of the project
– Research methodology and approach
– Originality and innovative aspects of the project
– Integration of the project in ICArEHB’s research
Of the maximum 10 pages, applicants are free to decide on the allocation of pages between the sections. However, the overall page limit will be strictly applied: after the call deadline, excess pages will automatically be made invisible, and will not be taken into consideration by the panel.
The candidate may also submit a proposal for an external advisor to the ICArEHB (not counting this to the limit of 10 pages), with the ICArEHB appointing a (co) advisor of the center before the start of the contract, who will be responsible for monitoring the project at ICArEHB and UAlg.