Deadline: December 27, 2018
We invite applications for a post-doctoral associate researcher position available in the scope of the grant “The Muge Shellmiddens Project: A new Portal to the last hunter-gatherers the Tagus Valley, Portugal” funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT, Portugal). The grantee will integrate the Interdisciplinary Center for Archaeology and Evolution of Human Behaviour (ICArEHB) at the University of Algarve (Faro, Portugal) under the supervision of Dr. Célia Gonçalves (Universidade do Algarve) and Dr. Cláudia Umbelino (Universidade de Coimbra).
The successful candidate will analyze human remains from the Muge Mesolithic shellmiddens, namely recording of osteometric and morphological data and elaborating a detailed photographic and 3D scanning digital archive.
- PhD in Archaeology, Anthropology or related areas;
- Experience in the excavation of human remains in archaeological context;
- Experience in metric and morphological analysis of archaeological human remains;
- Knowledge of 3D visualization software (Avizo, Amira) and 3D surface software (Geomagic) as well as knowledge in Geometrics Morphometric software (Evan Toolkit, Morphologika or equivalent);
- Have excellent knowledge in English (oral and written).
The selection process will have two steps. First, the selection committee will evaluate the applications (CV and cover letter) to produce a short-list of candidates. Second, the committee will conduct remote or personal interviews with the selected candidates.
- A 3-year term contract, which includes vacation days, parental leave, medical coverage and unemployment benefits
- Contract renewal for an equal period is possible after a positive evaluation by the University of Algarve after the first 3-year period
- A gross salary of 29,796.76 euros per year, to which is added a monthly lunch subsidy of c.1200 euros per year
- Integration in an interdisciplinary research center that aims to create an international and highly motivated environment for research
- It is advisable to contact Dr Célia Gonçalves (email@example.com) prior to submission
- You can read the official Announcement for International tender for the recruitment of a Post-doctoral Associated Researcher
The candidates need to provide the following documents:
- Applicants must download and fill the application form that can be found at here
- A cover letter in English with the most significant scientific activities and contributions over the last five years (maximum of 3,000 characters including spaces), and it should include a list and copies of three to five published articles considered by the applicant to be representative or most impactful in the subject field;
- A detailed curriculum vitae containing information about the applicant’s scientific and curricular background;
- Copy of doctoral certificate or diploma (following Portuguese law, at the time of the contract signature, the degree has to be recognized by the Portuguese education system);
- Optional: Other documents that the applicant considers relevant for assessing his/her application can be attached to the application;
- All documents should be sent as hard copies as well as in digital form.
- Applications must be formalized by registered post with proof of receipt to the Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha, 8005-139 Faro, postmarked on or before the tender closing date (27.Dec.2018).