Deadline: January 14, 2019
The Interdisciplinary Center for Archaeology and Evolution of Human Behavior (ICArEHB at the Universidade do Algarve), seeks to appoint one junior researcher in the growing field of the paleoenvironmental sciences to answer questions about the human past. This will be 3 year contracts as full-time researcher. You will join ICArEHB and a developing team under the supervision of Dr Ana Gomes, and benefit from recent investment in laboratories, infrastructure and technical support in this area. If you are interested, please contact Nuno Bicho (email@example.com) or Ana Gomes (firstname.lastname@example.org) or go to http://www.icarehb.com/positions-fellowships/
Post-doctoral researcher in Marine, Earth and Environmental Sciences – Portuguese National Science foundation project “InMoz – Quaternary environmental changes in Inhambane, Southeastern Mozambique, and their role in human evolution”
We invite applications for a post-doctoral associate researcher position available in the project “InMoz – Quaternary environmental changes in Inhambane, Southeastern Mozambique, and their role in human evolution” funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT, Portugal). The grantee will integrate the Interdisciplinary Center for Archaeology and Evolution of Human Behaviour (ICArEHB) at the University of Algarve (Faro, Portugal) under the supervision of Dr. Ana Gomes. The successful candidate will apply biogeochemical methods (microfossil analysis, sedimentology and geochemistry) to investigate paleoenvironmental changes recorded in interdunal lake deposits.
- Marine, Earth and Environmental Sciences or related areas;
- Experience with paleoenvironmental studies;
- Fieldwork experience;
- Experience in diatom analysis (desirable);
- General knowledge about Geographic Information Systems (desirable);
- Proficiency of written and spoken English.
The selection process will have two steps. First, the selection committee will evaluate the applications (CV and motivation letter) to produce a short-list of candidates. Second, the committee will conduct remote or personal interviews with the selected candidates.
- A 3-year term contract, which includes 22 work day vacation yearly, parental leave, medical coverage and unemployment benefits;
- Contract renewal for an equal period is possible after an evaluation by the University of Algarve;
- A gross salary of 29,796.76 euros per year, to which is added a monthly lunch subsidy in the amount of c. 1200 euros year.
- Integration in an interdisciplinary young research center that aims to create an international and highly motivated environment for research
- It is advisable to contact Ana Gomes (email@example.com) prior to submission;
- Please read the official announcement for the International tender at http://www.eracareers.pt/opportunities/index.aspx?task=global&jobId=106892
- Applicants must download and fill the application form that can be found here
- The candidates need to provide the following documents:
- A motivation letter in English, with the most significant scientific activities and contributions over the last five years (maximum of 3,000 characters including spaces), and it should include a list and copies of three to five published articles considered by the applicant to be representative or most impactful in the subject field;
- Copy of doctoral certificate or diploma (following Portuguese law, at the time of the contract signature, the degree has to be recognized by the Portuguese education system);
- Optional: Other documents that the applicant considers relevant for assessing his/her application can be attached to the application
- All documents should be sent as hard copies as well as in digital form.
- Applications must be formalized by registered post with proof of receipt to the Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha, 8005-139 Faro, postmarked on or before the tender closing date.
- Deadline: January 14, 2019