Deadline: January 14, 2019
We invite applications for a post-doctoral associate researcher position available in the scope of the grant “Fire among Anatomically Modern Humans and Neandertals as revealed from Archaeological Microstratigraphic Evidence (FLAME)” funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT, Portugal). The grantee will integrate the Interdisciplinary Center for Archaeology and Evolution of Human Behaviour (ICArEHB) at the University of Algarve (Faro, Portugal) under the supervision of Dr. Vera Aldeias (ICArEHB) and Dr. Carolina Mallol (University of La Laguna).
The successful candidate will apply geoarchaeological tools (archaeological stratigraphy, soil micromorphology and/or geochemical and mineralogical identification techniques) to: 1) investigate anthropogenic sediments related to combustion features from Middle and Upper Paleolithic contexts; and 2) review regional datasets of paleoenvironmental records.
- PhD in Archaeology, Earth Sciences or related disciplines such as Archaeological Sciences, Geochemistry or closely related fields;
- Fieldwork experience and availability to conduct further archaeological fieldwork in the scope of this project;
- Demonstrate a strong record of peer-reviewed publications;
- Candidates must be willing to work as part of a research team and liaise between collaborators across different institutions;
- Candidates should be highly enthusiastic about learning interdisciplinary research topics;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Experience in the study of combustion remains from archaeological contexts;
- Familiarity and proficiency with micromorphology, organic chemistry, or other geoarchaeology-related techniques;
- Experience in Geographic Information Systems and statistical analyses.
The selection process will have two steps. First, the selection committee will evaluate the applications (CV and cover letter) to produce a short-list of candidates. Second, the committee will conduct remote or personal interviews with the selected candidates.
- A 3-year term contract, which includes vacation days, parental leave, medical coverage and unemployment benefits
- Contract renewal for an equal period is possible after a positive evaluation by the University of Algarve after the first 3-year period
- A gross salary of 29,796.76 euros per year, to which is added a monthly lunch subsidy of c.1200 euros per year
- Integration in an interdisciplinary research center that aims to create an international and highly motivated environment for research
- It is advisable to contact Dr Vera Aldeias (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to submission
- You can read the official Announcement for International tender for the recruitment of a Post-doctoral Associated Researcher
The candidates need to provide the following documents:
- Applicants must download and fill the application form that can be found at here
- A cover letter in English with the most significant scientific activities and contributions over the last five years (maximum of 3,000 characters including spaces), and it should include a list and copies of three to five published articles considered by the applicant to be representative or most impactful in the subject field;
- A detailed curriculum vitae containing information about the applicant’s scientific and curricular background;
- Copy of doctoral certificate or diploma (following Portuguese law, at the time of the contract signature, the degree has to be recognized by the Portuguese education system);
- Optional: Other documents that the applicant considers relevant for assessing his/her application can be attached to the application;
- All documents should be sent as hard copies as well as in digital form.
- Applications must be formalized by registered post with proof of receipt to the Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha, 8005-139 Faro, postmarked on or before the tender closing date (14.Jan.2019).