I'm a pHd student at ICArEHB. I completeded my MA in 2016 and my BA in 2014, at the Universidade do Algarve. In the short time-span of my career, I participated in several research projects and presented my research in international and national conferences.
My main research question as been Bipolar Lithic Technology. In this field i've made several contributions and aim to do many more. Whereas my pHd project aims to be the first to link Bipolar Technology with evolutionary questions as well as to solve current methodological issues with bipolar technology analysis. However my research interests are much broader than just bipolar technology, as i'm interested in Methodological (utilizing new softwares for artifact analysis, excavation techniques etc.) as well as Human Evolution questions for instance: Modern Human dispersal out of Africa,Modern Human adaptations to new settings, Middle to Upper Paleolithic Transition, among others.
• Cascalheira, J., N. Bicho, C. Gonçalves, D. Garcia-Rivero and P. Horta (in press). Of space and time: the non-midden components of the Cabeço da Amoreira Mesolithic shellmound (Muge, Central Portugal). Proceedings from the Ninth International Conference on the Mesolithic in Europe. Belgrade, 2015.
• Horta, P., J. Cascalheira and N. Bicho (2017). Sobre a definição e interpretação das tecnologias líticas bipolares em contextos pré -históricos. Actas do II Congresso da Associação dos Arqueólogos Portugueses. In Estado da Questão: 385-392. Lisboa: Associação dos Arqueólogos Portugueses.
• Cascalheira, J., N. Bicho, T. Manne and P. Horta (2017). Cross-scale adaptive behaviors during the Upper Paleolithic in Iberia: The example of Vale Boi (Southwestern Portugal). Quaternary International, 446: 17-30. Link
• Horta, P., J. Cascalheira, N. Bicho and F. Regala (2017). The Neanderthal Occupation in Southwestern Iberia: preliminary data from the Gruta da Companheira site. Proceedings of the European Society for the study of Human Evolution, 6: 93.
• Horta, P. (2015). Preliminary techno-morphological comparison between chert and quartz splintered pieces from the Upper Paleolithic of Vale Boi (Southwestern Iberia). Jornadas de Jovens em Investigação Arqueológica VIII.
• Horta, P., J. Cascalheira and N. Bicho (2015). Preliminary technological comparison between chert and quartz splintered pieces from the Upper Paleolithic of Vale Boi (Southwestern Iberia). Abstracts for International Symposium on Knappable Materials. Session "On the Rocks": 37.
• Horta, P., J. Cascalheira and N. Bicho (2015). Expedient tools for intensive practices: the bipolar implements from the Upper Paleolithic site of Vale Boi (Southwestern Iberia). Proceedings of the European Society for the study of Human Evolution, 4: 124.
Participation in ICArEHB Projects
• 2011 - Volunteer in the excavation of the Mesolithic site of Cabeço da Amoreira, Muge.
• 2012 to 2017 - Volunteer in the excavation of the Upper Paleolithic site of Vale Boi
Participation in other Projects
• 2016 - Volunteer in the excavation of the Middle Paleolithic site Pinilla del Vale, Madrid,Spain. (MAR project)
• 2017 - Volunteer in the excavation of the Upper Paleolithic site Bacho Kiro (Bulgaria). Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology project.
• 2017 - Volunteer in the excavation of the Middle Stone Age site of Jebel Irhoud (Marroco). Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology project.
• 2016 - Contracted as a pre-historian for the prospection of several caves near the Gruta da Companheira site (Middle Paleolithic).
• since 2015 - Volunteer in regular exploratory speleological activities in Algarve