Department of Anthropology
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9642-9239
I am a PhD Candidate in the Department of Anthropology at the University of New Mexico and National Science Foundation Graduate Student Fellow. My graduate research focuses on assessing small game exploitation and subsistence differences between anatomically modern humans and Neanderthals to better understand why Neanderthals disappeared. My M.S. research assessed rabbit exploitation by Neanderthals at Gruta Nova da Columbeira. My dissertation research will continue to explore small exploitation in Iberia during the Middle and Upper Paleolithic.
For my complete CV please click HERE
• Jones, E. and Carvalho, M. (in review). Ecospaces of the Iberian Peninsula at the Middle-Upper Paleolithic transition: a view from the archaeofaunal record. In preparation for Quaternary
International, special volume, “The Role of Culture in the Early Expansion of Humans,” eds. Angela Bruch and Christine Hertzler.
• Carvalho, M., Pereira, T., and Manso, C. (2018). Rabbit exploitation in the Middle Paleolithic of Gruta Nova da Columbeira, Portugal. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 21: 821-832. Link
I am a collaborator in the following projects:
• Neandertais e Humanos Modernos na Gruta do Escoural (Neanderthals and Early Modern Humans at Escoural Cave [Southern Portugal]). PI: Dr. João Cascalheira.
• A transição Paleolítico Médio-Superior no Barlavento algarvio (TaPaMe; The Middle to Upper Paleolithic transition in windward Algarve in Portuguese). PI: Dr. Nuno Bicho.
• O Quaternário na Bacia de Drenagem do Rio Real (QuaterReal; The Quaternary in the Real River Basin in Portuguese). PI: Cláudia Manso & Dr. Marina Évora.
• Analysis of the Initial Magadalenian archaofauna (level 119) of El Miron, Cantabria, Spain at the Laboratorio de Bioarqueología y Paleoclima- IIIPC, University of Cantabria, Santander. Supervised by Drs. Lawrence Straus and Ana Belén Marin Arroyo
• Analysis of Solutrean, Late Middle Paleolithic and Early Upper Paleolithic (levels T, DD, FF, JJ) archaeofauna from Lapa do Picareiro, Estremedura, Portugal at the ICArEHB Laboratory, University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal. Supervised by Dr. Jonathan Haws.
• A Serra e o Mar: Relações sócio-naturais durante o Pleistoceno Superior (ASEM IV). PI: Dr. Jonathan Haws.